Your money is spent on services provided by the council and other organisations.

Your Council Tax

We collect your council tax on behalf of Devon County Council*, ourselves (South Hams District Council), Police and Crime Commissioner for Devon and Cornwall, Devon and Somerset Fire & Rescue Authority and Town and Parish Councils.

This year for an average band D property your council tax will be £1,821.93 and it is divided up like this:

2018/19 Coin

*see statement concerning adult social care funding below

Changes in spending

South Hams District Council plans to spend £43.6 (gross) on providing services for 2018/19. A total of £37.5m of this amount comes from the income we receive from grants, fees and charges. Therefore the amount of council tax we need to collect is £6.1m.

The Council's net budget has increased from £8.35 million (17/18) to £8.98 million (18/19). The money that the Council receives in Government Grant funding (Revenue Support Grant) has been reduced to nil in 2018/19 and the Council will need to be self-financing. The withdrawal of Government funding has happened two years earlier than originally expected. The Council is exploring options of how it can generate its own income through Invest to Earn initiatives.

This year the Council has increased council tax by £5 from £155.42 in 2017/18. This means that the cost of South Hams services for an average band D property will be £160.42 for 2018/19. The Council has committed to protecting frontline services where possible.

The Council continues to share staff with West Devon Borough Council. Over the last two years, South Hams District Council has generated ongoing annual savings of £3.9 million from a joint Transformation Programme (T18) and sharing services with West Devon Borough Council. The Councils' shared workforce has been reduced by 30% through the T18 Programme and processes have been redesigned around the customer. The radical programme has changed how the Councils' work, to deliver more efficiencies and to retain the Councils' front line services.

Spending plans for 2018/19

Spending Graph 2018/19 SH

Statement concerning adult social care funding

The Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government has made an offer to adult social care authorities ('Adult social care authorities' are local authorities which have functions under Part 1of the Care Act 2014, namely county councils in England, district councils for an area in England for which there is no county council, London borough councils, the Common Council of the City of London and the Council of the Isles of Scilly.)

The offer is the option of an adult social care authority being able to charge an additional  'precept ' on its council tax for financial years from the financial year beginning in 2016 without holding a referendum,  to assist the authority in meeting expenditure on adult social care.  Subject to the annual approval of the House of Commons, the Secretary of State intends to offer the option of charging this 'precept' at an appropriate level in each financial year up to and including the financial year 2019/20.