Toggle menu

Protected Trees

The Council has a duty to protect trees that have significant public amenity value. There are five types of tree protection.

Tree Preservation Orders

Councils can use Tree Preservation Orders (TPOs) to protect trees, groups or woodlands of significant public amenity value. For further information please see our Tree Preservation Orders page. 

Trees in Conservation Areas

The historic core of most towns and villages is designated as a Conservation Area. Within this area, trees are protectedFor further information, please see our Trees in Conservation Areas page. 

Do I need a Felling Licence from the Forestry Commission?

A single large tree could be in excess of five cubic metres.  Anyone planning to fell or remove more than five cubic metres of timber within hedges, woods or copses will need to seek guidance from The Forestry Commission to check if they need to apply for a Felling Licence.  Further information on felling licences is available here.

Trees Subject to a Planning Condition

If you have received planning consent for works or alterations to your property or your property has been built in the last 10 years, the trees on or within your boundary may be subject to planning conditions. 

You may require agreement from the local planning authority before carrying out any works to specified trees.  Planning conditions can be found by opening and reading through the decision notices issued on determination of the associated planning application and are available to view on our website by searching for your property via the online Planning Search.

Private Covenants on Trees

Some trees on private property are subject to restrictive covenants preventing their removal.  The Council does not hold property ownership records or any information on restrictive covenants.  The Council does not have the power to enforce restrictive covenants.

If your property is registered land, restrictive covenants will appear in The Charges Register (Section C) of the Official Copies of the Title Register. This document is available from The Land Registry.  If your property is currently unregistered, these covenants would be detailed in your Property Deeds. 

If you do not have access to your property deeds (e.g. if your property is still subject to a mortgage), you will need to contact your solicitor or mortgage lender to request copies.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email