Toggle menu

Trees, Hedges and Landscapes

Matters relating to protected trees now fall within the Council's Planning Team's remit. Additional information on Trees is available on the planning pages of the website.

If you are contacting the Council regarding an issue to do with a protected tree please choose the Planning Option on the menu. If you are reporting ongoing, unauthorised works to a protected tree, outside of normal office hours please call our Out of Hours Team on the number below:

01803 867034

Tree Maintenance

You can find out about tree ownership and who has responsibility for maintenance here.

Protected Trees

The Council has a duty to protect trees that have significant public amenity value. There are five types of tree protection.

Tree Preservation Orders

Protecting trees, copses and woodlands by Tree Preservation Orders (TPOs) served and enforced by the Council.

Report Unauthorised Tree Works

If you have witnessed unauthorised works to a protected tree, please report it to Planning Enforcement.

Tree Warden Network

You can find information about the Tree Warden Scheme here.

Hedges in the Countryside

Hedgerows are protected by law. If you wish to remove one in the countryside you must apply to the Council.

Nuisance Hedges in Towns and Villages

Find out what the council can do about hedge and tree disputes between neighbours.

Landscape Character Assessment

A Landscape Character Assessment (LCA) has been prepared for South Hams and West Devon in 2018 and replaces the earlier assessments produced in 2007 and 2008.

Request for a Tree Preservation Order

If you wish to ask the Council to consider serving a Tree Preservation Order (TPO) please use this form.

Apply to work on a Protected Tree

If you need to carry out works to a protected tree, you can apply online here.

Trees on Development Sites

There is a clear and well-established process for protecting trees in relation to new development.

Apply for a Commemorative or Memorial Tree

Apply to place a memorial or commemorative tree.

Climate Change

South Hams District Council has declared a Climate Change and Biodiversity Emergency. Find out more here.

Ash Dieback Disease

Find more information about Ash Dieback, including where you can get further advice and your responsibilities for any trees on your land.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email