Toggle menu

Discretionary Rebate

This rebate is designed to help households not eligible for an Energy Support Payment who are struggling to meet increasing fuel costs.

It's part of the government's Energy Bills Rebate scheme announced earlier this year.

If your household meets any of the criteria below, you can apply for the discretionary rebate. This will be a one-off payment of £150.

  • Households in Council Tax band E to H, where the occupants are receiving Council Tax Reduction;
  • Households in Council Tax band E to H, that have less than £6,000 capital, and a weekly net income below the following amounts
    • £250 for a single person;
    • £320 for a couple;
    • £400 for a family (lone parent or couple) with one dependent child;
    • £500 for a family (lone parent or couple) with more than one dependent child.
  • Households where occupants are responsible for paying the energy bills, who are not the person liable for Council Tax.

You may be required to provide evidence of your capital and income.

Documents you will need

As part of your application, you will need to upload the following documents. They must be in the name of the Council Tax Payer or the person liable for the energy bills.

  • A Council Tax Bill from the year 2022 to 2023
  • A Utility Bill, such as gas, electric or water (no older than January 2022)
  • A Bank Statement (no older than January 2022). This needs to show the sort code, account number, your details, as well as regular transactions in the account.
  • A copy of your latest payslip (dated no older than the last 3 months)  

It's a good idea to make sure that you have all the required documents to hand before completing the form. Missing or invalid documents can result in your application being delayed or refused.

Click here to apply

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email