You need a licence to run a boarding kennel or cattery and to board animals in your own home.

An Animal Boarding Establishment Licence is required if you run a kennel or cattery, this includes boarding animals in your own home.The number of dogs and cats that can be accommodated, along with any other conditions, will be specified on the licence.

You must not be disqualified from any of the following at the time you apply:

  • Keeping an animal boarding establishment
  • Keeping a pet shop under the Pet Animals Act 1951
  • Keeping animals under the Protection of Animals (Amendment) Act 1954
  • Owning, keeping, being involved in the keeping or being entitled to control of influence the keeping of animals, dealing in animals or transporting or being involved in the transportation of animals under the Animals Welfare act 2006
  • Owning, keeping, dealing in or transporting animals under the Animal Health and Welfare (Scotland) Act 2006.


You can apply for a new licence or a renewal by completing an application form and sending it us along with the correct fee.

Apply for, change, or renew a licence here

For completed applications we will try to process them within 28 working days from receipt of application, providing no further information is needed.

The duration of the licence is for 1 year, all Animal Boarding Establishment licences expire on 31st December each year, regardless of the date of issue (this is a requirement of the legislation and we cannot alter it).


Please see the Licensing Fees pages.

Relevant legislation and other information

Please see the download section on the right hand side.


To make a complaint about an Animal Boarding Establishment in the area please email