Your Council Tax bill can be reduced if you need additional space in your home to accommodate the needs of a person with a disability.

How do I apply?

To apply for a disabled reduction, you will need to complete this form.

How much will the reduction be?

If you qualify, the reduction in your Council Tax is the equivalent of one band.

  • For example - if your property is valued in band D you will pay the equivalent of the band C charge for a property in your parish.
  • If your property is already in the lowest band (band A), your bill will be reduced by 16.6%, or one sixth.

Do I qualify?

In order to qualify, the person with a disability must live in your home. They do not have to be the Council Tax payer. For example it could be a relative who lives with you.

There must be at least one of the following features in the property:

  • A room (other than a kitchen, bathroom, or toilet) used by the person with a disability for meeting their needs - e.g. a room set aside for storage of dialysis equipment.
  • An additional bathroom or kitchen used predominantly by, and for meeting the needs of, the person with the disability
  • Additional space inside the home to allow for the use of a wheelchair.

What happens next?

Please send the completed application form to the council. An officer may need to visit your residence to verify your circumstances. If this is required, we will contact you before we visit.

If your application is accepted, we will send you a revised bill. If you are due a refund of any Council Tax you have already paid, we will arrange this.