We are currently trialling a web chat feature. Please use the button below to talk directly with one of our Customer Service Team.

Universal Credit

If you live in one of the postcodes shown below, you should apply for Universal Credit (UC) instead of housing benefit.

If you have more than two children living with you, or if you live in specified accomodation (such as a refuge or a hostel) you can still apply for housing benefit regardless of where you live.

First PartSecond Part
PL81, 2
PL90, 9
PL210, 1, 9


Claiming a benefit online is:

  • Quick to do.
  • Mobile device friendly.
  • Simple, as it tells you what information you will need to provide.

How do I make a claim?

To start a new claim form for Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction, please see

You will need:

  • Your National Insurance Number, and that of any adults who live with you
  • Details of your income, including wages and benefits
  • Statements from all bank accounts that you hold
  • Details of your rent and council tax

What happens next?

If you are eligible for housing benefit, the amount you will get depends on who lives with you, your total income and any savings you may have. It can also be affected by the amount of rooms your family needs.

If you are eligible for Council Tax Reduction, it will be taken off the amount of Council Tax you have to pay.

What if something has changed?

If you are claiming benefit and you have any change in your circumstances you must inform us straight away.

If you do not tell us about changes in your circumstances you could be getting the wrong amount of Housing Benefit. If you get too much you will in most cases have to pay this money back. To ensure you receive all the benefit you are entitled to you must tell us within one month.

Some examples of changes in circumstances that you need to tell us about are:

  • If you move to a different address
  • If someone moves into or out of your home
  • If you have a baby
  • If a child leaves school and you no longer get child benefit for them
  • If your income goes up or down - this includes other household members
  • If you or anyone in your household starts or stops work
  • If you or your partner's job seekers allowance, employment support allowance or income support stops or changes.

Remember, there are also other changes that may affect your Housing Benefit so please tell us, even if you think it will not make a difference.