Toggle menu

Property Used for Business

Working at home

You do not usually have to pay Business Rates for home-based businesses if you:

  • use a small part of your home for your business, for example if you use a bedroom as an office
  • sell goods by post

You may need to pay Business Rates as well as Council Tax if:

  • your property is part business and part domestic, for example if you live above your shop
  • you sell goods or services to people who visit your property
  • you employ other people to work at your property
  • you've made changes to your home for your business, for example converted a garage to a salon

Contact the Valuation Office Agency (VOA) to find out if you should be paying Business Rates.

Self-catering and holiday let accommodation

If your property is in England and available to let for short periods totalling 140 days or more per year, it will be rated as a self-catering property and valued for Business Rates.

Changing the use of your property from domestic to business or business to domestic.

If you are changing the use of your property you should continue to pay as per your latest demand notice (bill). Once the change has been completed, any payments made will be transferred to the correct account.

To tell us your property is being used for business, or has stopped being used for business, please use this contact form to get in touch with the Business Rates team.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email