Toggle menu

Starting a Food Business?

If you are starting a business which handles, stores, processes or sells food, you will need to register with us 28 days before trading.

This includes catering businesses run from home and mobile or temporary premises, such as stalls and vans.

You can find information about How to Register a Food Business here.

If you are a childminder, the details you provide to Ofsted will be used to Register your food business. You will not have to register separately.

You can read our handy checklist here.

Are You Catering from Home?

  • If you are using part of your home for a business, have you checked whether you will be required to pay business rates?
  • Have you informed your Home Insurance Provider to make sure you are covered for business use?
  • Do you need public liability insurance?

Are you a Mobile Trader?

Following Registration, ensure that you have the Landowner's permission to trade. If you intend to trade from Ivybridge or Torcross, you may need Street Trading consent. Please contact us to discuss


Once you register, you will have an inspection to check whether the business is complying with food law and producing food that is safe to eat.

Most premises will receive a food hygiene rating which shows customers how well you are handling and managing food operations.

Further information on Food Safety can be found on the FSA Food Safety Website.

What about Licensing?

You will need a premises licence if you want to:

  • Sell or Supply alcohol
  • Sell hot food and drinks between 11 p.m. and 5 a.m.
  • Provide entertainment, such as theatre, cinema or live music

You can find out more about Premises Licences here.

What about Planning?

Do you have the relevant planning permission to carry out the activities you want to do?

You can find out more on The Planning Portal.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email