Universal Credit has now been rolled out for new claimants in the South Hams. Find out how UC works and how you can apply here.

What is Universal Credit?

Universal Credit supports you if you are on a low income or out of work. It includes a monthly payment to help with your living costs.

Universal Credit replaces:

  • Child Tax Credit
  • Housing Benefit
  • Income Support
  • Income-based Job Seekers Allowance (JSA)
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Working Tax Credits

If you are already claiming these benefits, you do not need to do anything. The Department for Work and Pensions will get in touch with you before there are any changes to your benefits.

If you need to make a new claim for one of these benefits, such as Housing Benefit (which you would normally claim from us), and you do not fall into any of the categories below, you will need to claim Universal Credit instead.

Should I Claim Universal Credit or Housing Benefit?

  • Are you of pension age?
  • Do you have more than 3 children?
  • Do you live in temporary accomodation?
  • Do you live in supported accomodation?

If the answer to any of these questions is Yes, you will need to claim Housing Benefit from us. Please see Make a New Housing Benefit Claim for more information.

If you have answered No to all of these questions, you will need to apply for Universal Credit.

Apply for Universal Credit

Where can I get more information?

The website Understanding Universal Credit includes all the information you will need about making a claim and what you need to do once you're receiving Universal Credit.