Universal Credit has now been rolled out for new claimants in our area. Find out how UC works and how you can apply here.

What Is Universal Credit?

Should I Claim Universal Credit or Housing Benefit?

Where Can I Get More Information?

How do I apply for Housing Benefit?

What is Universal Credit?

Universal Credit supports you if you are on a low income or out of work. It includes a monthly payment to help with your living costs.

Universal Credit replaces:

  • Child Tax Credit
  • Housing Benefit
  • Income Support
  • Income-based Job Seekers Allowance (JSA)
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Working Tax Credits

If you are already claiming these benefits, you do not need to do anything. The Department for Work and Pensions will get in touch with you before there are any changes to your benefits.

If you need to make a new claim for one of these benefits, such as Housing Benefit (which you would normally claim from us), and you do not fall into any of the categories below, you will need to claim Universal Credit instead.

Should I Claim Universal Credit or Housing Benefit?

  • Are you of pension age?
  • Are you or your partner in receipt of severe disablement allowance?
  • Do you live in temporary accomodation?
  • Do you live in supported accomodation?

If the answer to any of these questions is Yes, you will need to claim Housing Benefit from us.

If you have answered No to all of these questions, you will need to apply for Universal Credit.

Apply for Universal Credit

Where can I get more information?

The website Understanding Universal Credit includes all the information you will need about making a claim and what you need to do once you're receiving Universal Credit.

How do I apply for Housing Benefit?

If you have answered yes to any of the above questions, you will need to apply for Housing Benefit. Please sign up for an online account. This provides a safe and convenient way to access our Council Tax and Benefits services.

To find out how much housing benefit you could claim, please use our online calculator.

Online Calculator

You can register for an account by completing a short form, or if you have a Google, Facebook or Microsoft Account, you can register using your existing account.

SH Register

Register using your Google, Facebook or Microsoft account

If you already have an account, click the button below to login.

Sign in SH

If you prefer not to register, you can use this button instead:

Apply for Housing Benefit