You need a licence to run a riding establishment where horses or ponies are hired out for riding or used for riding instruction.

Licences for horse riding establishment may be issued provided the applicant is over 18 years of age and must not be disqualified from running a horse riding establishment.


You can apply for a new licence or a renewal by completing an application form and sending it us along with the correct fee.

Apply for, or Renew, a Riding Establishment Licence

The duration of the licence is for 1 year.

To process your application we carry out an inspection of the riding establishment, in addition we require a vet inspection report.


For fees please see the Licensing Fees  pages.

You will also be charged the actual cost of the Vet Inspection fee.

Complaints about a Horse Riding Establishment.

To make a complaint about a Horse Riding Establishment in the area please email