You or a member of your staff must hold a personal licence if you sell alcohol from licensed premises so that every sale or supply of alcohol is authorised by a licence holder.

You must be 18 years or older and hold a relevant licensing qualification, for example the Award for Personal Licence Holders (APLH) Level 2. Once granted, the licence is valid indefinitely.

You don't need a personal licence to sell alcohol under a temporary events notice.

If you live in the South Hams you must apply to us for a licence. If you live outside of the South Hams, please apply to the local authority where you live. If we grant a personal licence we will always remain the 'relevant licensing authority' even if you move out of the area.


You can apply for a personal licence by completing an application form and sending it to us, along with the correct fee and the following documentation:  

  • Disclosure of convictions form.
  • Recent Disclosure and Barring Service check (can be obtained through Request basic DBS check). Please note that a Disclosure and Barring Service certificate must be under 1 month old upon the date that the application is received by the authority.
  • 2 countersigned passport photographs.
  • Relevant licensing qualifications. See the website for a list of List of accredited personal licence qualification providers.
  • Proof of right to work

Please see the download section on the right hand side and and post your application and original documents to:

South Hams District Council
Plymouth Road

While you must provide original versions of your Disclosure and Barring Service certificate and qualification certificate, you may provide copies of documents to prove your right to work in the UK.


Please see the Premises Licence and Club Premises Certificate Fees pages.

Please note we no longer accept cheque payments. To make a payment see our Need to Pay for Something? page


If you currently hold a personal licence there is no longer any need to renew it as all personal licences are now valid indefinitely. Even if your personal licence has an expiry date printed on it this date is no longer applicable and the licence will remain valid indefinitely after the expiry date.

Changes to personal details

It is an offence not tell us of any name or address changes. If you hold a valid personal licence, all changes must be made to the Licensing Authority that issued the licence.

To notify us of a name or address change you must write to us at:

South Hams District Council
Plymouth Road

Your notification must include:

  • Name or address change in writing.
  • Fee of £10.50.
  • Personal licence(card part).
  • Please see the download section on the right hand side for the 'Personal Licence Change of Circumstances' form.