Food Safety Complaints
If you have any complaint about food safety we are here to help you. We deal with complaints about food manufactured, prepared, sold or served in the council's area. For food complaints we cannot deal with, we will tell you who can help.
We deal with complaints about food manufactured, prepared, sold or served in the council's area. For food complaints we cannot deal with, we will tell you who can help.
Food complaints we can investigate
- Food that might have caused food poisoning or has been contaminated
- Food that contains 'foreign bodies' eg: insects, glass, hair and/or metal
- Mouldy food
- Complaints about poor hygiene in food outlets
- Food that is beyond its 'use-by' date.
Food complaints we can't investigate
- Complaints about poor quality food - for instance sour milk or over-ripe fruit
- Food that is beyond its 'best-before' date
- False descriptions, or incorrect labelling of food and drink
- Food that is not the described weight.
- If you wish to make a claim for compensation or want to be refunded, speak to the food business operator, or consult a solicitor for legal advice.
Making a complaint
Complain direct to the seller of the food OR contact the Council and ask us to investigate.
Please aware that if you return the product to the seller it will be more difficult for us to investigate later.
Make a complaint on our form.
If you want the Council to investigate a food complaint
- Contact us as soon as possible, we'll tell you what you need to do next
- Keep as much of the food as possible, if appropriate
- Keep any packaging and receipts
- Wrap and store the food in a freezer so that it does not deteriorate further
- We'll ask you to sign a declaration asking us to investigate on your behalf
Where can I get more information?