If you are a young person thinking about leaving home remember that housing is in short supply and difficult to access.

That's why you need to think really carefully and seek advice before you make the decision to leave.

It is far better, if possible, to leave when you are able to make a planned move; that way you reduce the chance of becoming homeless. However, we can give help for young people who are threatened with homelessness.

Finding suitable accommodation

Most young people leave home by moving into privately rented accommodation which will usually be a flat share or room in a shared house.

This sort of accommodation can be found through

  • Local letting agents
  • Landlords who advertise in local newspapers
  • Notice boards
  • Online through websites

Remember, you are likely to need a deposit and rent in advance for this type of accommodation.

You can apply for social housing through Devon Home Choice, but the shortage of suitable housing means you are very unlikely to be able to move straight into a tenancy with a Registered Provider (Housing Association).

Housing Benefit

If you are claiming other benefits or only have a low income, you may be entitled to Housing Benefit. People who are single and under 35 years of age are usually only able to claim Housing Benefit at the shared room rate. This is the rate for an average rental charge for a single room with shared facilities in the area your wish to rent.

I've been asked to leave home

If you are being asked to leave by your parents, we can help by

  • Talking with your parents or guardians to enable you to stay at home
  • Give you advice on how to find alternative accommodation
  • Advise you on your benefit entitlement
  • Refer you to support agencies

Homeless or Threatened with Homelessness

If you are homeless or threatened with homelessness and are 16 or 17, you should read the Icon for pdf Your Housing Pathway [1.67MB] which gives details of the steps you should take if you have nowhere to stay. If homelessness cannot be prevented, or enquiries show that you would not be safe at home, assessments will be made to see whether Social Care or the Housing Service should offer you the necessary help and support.

Further Advice and Support

Young People's Housing Advice has helpful information for young people and parents including up-to-date housing advice and law.