I want a low cost or affordable home
If you can't afford to get onto the housing ladder you may be able to apply for subsidised home ownership through HomeBuy.
If you can't afford to rent a home on the open market you can register with Devon Home Choice (housing waiting list) to apply for social housing. Remember, there is a shortage of affordable homes to rent.
How do I apply to buy an affordable home?
- To get your name added to the Council's Housing Register (waiting list) go to Devon Home Choice.
- You also need to add your name to the HomeBuy Agent waiting list - locally this is Help to Buy South.
How do I apply to rent an affordable home?
- Register with Devon Home Choice.
- Applicants are banded according to their housing need.
- Vacant properties are advertised weekly and applicants can choose to apply for up to three properties each week.
For more information and advice, please contact the Housing Advice Team.
About Devon Home choice
For more information about Devon Home Choice, please use the button below:
What is Help to Buy?
- HomeBuy Agents are registered providers appointed by the Government.
- They provide a 'one-stop shop' for low-cost home ownership products.
- The local HomeBuy Agent for this area is Help to Buy South.
- The HomeBuy agent markets most of the properties available under the different schemes, but there may be some exceptions.
Will I be eligible?
Go to Help to Buy South to find out if you could rent or buy an affordable home.
How much money do I need to earn to buy a home through HomeBuy?
- If you earn less than £15,000 per annum you are not likely to qualify - it depends on the area, and the property you want to buy.
- You can still register if you meet the other eligibility requirements.
- You may well need an annual income, which is much more than £15,000.
- A deposit and other costs, such as legal and survey fees will be needed.
- You also need to be able to afford ongoing costs of ownership, such as repairs and maintenance.
- If you earn more than £60,000 per annum you are not likely to be eligible.