Trees, Copses and Woodlands of significant value to the community can be protected by a Tree Preservation Order (TPO), which are served and enforced by the Council.

Which Trees are protected by TPOs?

Please use the Interactive Mapping to find out if a tree has a preservation order on it. 

If a tree has a TPO, an application needs to be made to work on the tree or fell the tree. 

How can someone apply to work on a tree subject to TPO?

If you wish to make an application to work on, or fell a tree with a Preservation Order, please visit the Planning Portal to submit an application.  You can also choose to download the application form  and post the completed application to the address at the top of the form.

Remember, certain works to trees are "exempt" and can take place either immediately or after five days notice. 

Once an application has been made, the council has eight weeks to issue a decision. It can approve or refuse your application. If refused, you have a right to appeal.

How do I get a TPO placed on a tree?

Tree Preservation Orders can only be served on trees of significant public amenity value and where there is a likelihood of threat to the tree.

If you wish to request the Council consider serving a Tree Preservation Order, please apply to us using the TPO assessment form.

What can I do if I believe works are taking place without permission?

It is a criminal offence to work on a TPO tree without prior permission. The maximum penalty is a £20,000 fine. If you suspect that works are taking place without permission, please REPORT SUSPECTED WORK TO A TREE WITH A PRESERVATION ORDER.

If you want to find out more about Tree Protection and Preservation Orders they can be found in the Guidance - Tree Preservation Orders and trees in conservation areas -

How do I find a suitable tree surgeon?

Please see this link for advice on choosing a qualified, insured tree surgeon.